Friday, 15 February 2008

Fisherman's Cove


The hotel we stayed in before we got the apartment has a sister hotel, Fisherman's Cove, which is located further up the coast. Leaving the incessant hooting and tooting of city traffic behind us, we found ourselves surrounded by the crashing of waves and the calling of birds, particularly the raucous cawing of crows. House Crows are master opportunists who scavenge whenever the chance presents itself.

We stayed in a tiny circular bungalow overlooking the ocean. The bedroom was round and the outside shower was fun, though I wouldn't have been keen to use the shower in the dark. Outside each bungalow, a hammock was strung between the palm trees.


An early start to the day was essential to watch darkness seep away and the sun rise, sending dramatic fingers of light over the sea. The first dawn visitors to the beach were dogs, so free in comparison with European dogs, gathering in a pack to roll and tumble or just sit and watch in the cool of the morning. Then came the traders, one at a time, carrying with them a pack of wares. I made the mistake of stepping onto the sand to find an uncluttered view of the dramatic sky away from the overhanging fronds of shady palm trees - as soon as I had done that I was fair game for a sales pitch. Exchanged pleasantries turned into insistent requests to purchase something - a waste of time on their part for all I had with me was my camera.



No comments: